Saturday, March 16, 2013

Teaching Graphs iPad App


Teaching Graphs iPad App
Teaching Graphs is a fantastic iPad app for teaching graphs to children! Although it costs $2.99, I am convinced that it is worth it.

I was looking for an app that could create venn diagrams easily and clearly. My hope was that they could be created and saved as jpg images. Teaching Graphs allows for that, and for many other types of graphs.




A question about a picture graph

In just seconds I was able to create a pie chart, a Carroll diagram, a Venn diagram, a bar chart, a line chart and a picture graph. The directions are simple enough that elementary children of all ages can create a nice-looking, easy to read graph. Awesome!
A Venn diagram I was beginning to make. Adding labels
 is as easy as can be!

A question in the "Read" portion of the app.
A sample question about a Carroll diagram
One of the coolest features of the app, however, is its "read" feature - where students select a type of graph and are asked questions about the data. 




There are weather graphs, in which you select your current location, and the app uses current data. I was asked about high and low temperatures, including lots of comparison questions. The app kept track of my score, so the assessment was built-in, and I could choose between fahrenheit and centigrade. There was also a link to additional information with each type of graph.

A sample question about a Venn Diagram










I'm excited to begin using this app with the students at my school. I think it will make a great addition to our app library!

No comments:

Post a Comment